Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Social Awareness Project


Response to social issues in literary work #4
 
         Reg e. Gaines wrote the poem “please don't take my air jordans. The main issue in this poem is robbery. The poem is about a teenager that steals clothes and other items. He wanted a pair of “Air Jordans” and he decided to steal from a boy. Then the teenager took a drastic turn and used a gun to get the shoes. Many sections in this poem explain things that the teenager stole. Many people go through this. Just like the teenager in the poem, people want something more but they cant afford it. Since the teenager probably can’t provide himself with money he has to steal to get what he wants. 
         
        The message of the poem is that people think that their image is everything and people will do what they can to keep that image, this also ties in with robbery. The teenager in the poem says things multiple times like saying, “it ain’t about bein heard just bein seen” and “gots ta do what i can to make sure i look good". This shows how the teenager in the poem is just worrying about how he looks around people. Also the poem says " please don't take my air jordans.” In that seen a boy was shot but only cared about his shoes. The quotes from the poem are some examples that show the message. This is the message that the author wanted to convey with poem.

  This poem makes me more aware about how people act on a certain situation. In the poem the teenager killed a boy and then took his sneakers just to keep an image is what other people in the world might do. Many people cant afford things and are stuck in drastic situations like the one in the poem. I feel bad for people with this issue. Poverty is a tough situation to deal with. I think that this issue happens a lot around the world. Being poor leads to things like robbery. It is sad that people chose to do certain things in these situations.

Original  Poetry and 
Process Behind it #5

Please don’t come home by Sydney Jimenez

Please don’t come home
You touch me when I say STOP
You use me 
You make me feel unsafe
I try to break away from your grasp 
I can’t escape 
When you are home you grab me
Your strong grip holds
 Me in place
I can’t control it 
You take me over
There is nothing I can do 
I don’t want you near 
                                                              Please don’t come home   



            This poem is about women mistreatment. I wrote about a woman who is mistreated.
This is a very common social issue. I decided to write a poem about this topic because it is meaningful to me. Since it was meaningful to me I did research on issues that women go through. From there I focused on a specific idea from women mistreatment. I focused more on abuse that women go through. From that idea I decided to write about a woman who is  abused and her thoughts and feelings on it, also what exactly happens to her. I feel very strongly about women and the rights that women should have. This led to my decisions in the poem.  

Response to a work of art #6

    Dorothea Lange took the photograph called “Migrant mother.” This photograph shows a mother and her three children. They lived in the era of the Great Depression, and they are living in poverty. They all have dirty clothes on.  Also the mother has the look of struggle and pain on her face. In addition she seems is looking somewhere as if there will be hope. This photograph makes me think about social issue justice. It does because people shouldn’t have to liv in poverty. That photograph shows sorrow and pain. That sorrow and pain shouldn’t have to be felt. As well as many others, I feel very strongly about this topic. People should get help. People need something to provide for themselves and their families. I think that this photograph portrays both depression and poverty in a very clear way. The photograph also brings out many thoughts and feelings on the social issues shown in the photo.

In addition I now know what pain one could have gone through with both poverty and depression. I could have never realized how tough life can be. This made me think more about the world and what people may go through. Social issues can be very hard to deal with. It is a struggle that people constantly go through. I now feel like I know a lot more about what social issues can feel like with different.           














  

1 comment:

  1. First, I liked the different techniques and ways you wrote your poem. Also, your third project made me think about poverty and social classes because of your descriptive paragraph on the work of art. Last, I liked your project in general because they all connected and made me realize the things that are happening and have happened.

    ReplyDelete